In this blog post, we will explore two fantastic bathroom wall trim ideas: Wainscoting and…
When it comes to bathroom renovations, one often thinks of grand, full-tiled walls and intricate designs. However, there’s a budget-friendly and stylish alternative that can transform your bathroom without breaking the bank – the half-tiled bathroom. In this article, we’ll explore half-tiled bathroom ideas to fit a budget, its benefits, and the choices you need to make before taking on this project. We’ll also explore creative ways to style a half-tiled bathroom, giving your space a unique and personalized touch.
What is a Half-Tiled Bathroom?
As the name suggests, a half-tiled bathroom involves tiling only a portion of the bathroom walls while leaving the remaining area painted or decorated differently. This approach balances the elegance of fully tiled bathrooms and the cost-effectiveness of a simple painted wall. Half-tiled bathrooms are gaining popularity due to their versatility and ability to suit various budgets and design preferences.
Benefits of a Half-Tiled Bathroom
Before diving into the creative possibilities, let’s explore the benefits of opting for a half-tiled bathroom:
- Budget Consciousness: One of the most significant advantages of choosing a half-tiled bathroom is its cost-effectiveness. Tiles can be expensive, and by tiling only a portion of the walls, you can significantly reduce the overall cost of your bathroom renovation project. According to Architectural Digest, the average cost to tile a bathroom is between $12.50 and $25 per square foot.
- Time: Tiling a full bathroom can be time-consuming, requiring meticulous precision. In contrast, a half-tiled bathroom can be completed more quickly, allowing you to enjoy your updated space sooner.
- Creativity: A half-tiled bathroom opens up a world of creative possibilities. With half of the space available for other design elements, you can add a personal touch and experiment with various styles to create a unique ambiance.
Different Ways to Style a Half-Tiled Bathroom
Now that you’ve made your foundational choices, it’s time to get styling your half-tiled bathroom. Here are some exciting options:
Painting Above the Tile
After tiling the lower portion of your bathroom walls, you can paint the upper section with a color that complements the tiles. This combination of tile and paint creates an elegant contrast, making your bathroom feel more spacious.
Putting Wallpaper Above the Tile
Consider adding wallpaper above the tiled area for a touch of pattern and personality. Wallpaper comes in various designs and colors, allowing you to customize your bathroom’s aesthetic.
Shelving Above the Tile
Installing shelves above the tiled section of your bathroom adds functionality and serves as a decorative element. You can use these shelves to display decorative items and plants or store bathroom essentials.
Art Above the Tile
Hang artwork or framed photographs above the tiled portion to infuse your personality into the space. Art can be an excellent focal point and conversation starter in your bathroom.
Tile Trim/Skirt Pieces
To give your half-tiled bathroom a polished and finished look, consider using tile trim or skirt pieces along the border where the tile meets the painted or decorated wall. This adds a cohesive touch and protects the edges of the tile.
Choices to Make Before Laying Half-Tile
Before embarking on your half-tiled bathroom project, there are several important choices to make:
- Size of the Tile: Selecting the right tile size is crucial. Larger tiles can make a small bathroom appear more spacious, while smaller tiles can add texture and detail. Consider the dimensions of your bathroom and the aesthetic you want to achieve when choosing the tile size.
- Where Will Water Land?: Identify the areas where water is most likely to splash or come into contact with the walls. These areas should be prioritized for tiling to ensure protection against moisture damage.
- How High Up the Wall to Lay Tile?: The height at which you lay the tile can dramatically impact the look and feel of your bathroom. Traditionally, tiles are often installed at eye level, but you can choose to go higher or lower for a unique design.
A half-tiled bathroom perfectly balances style and budget-friendliness. By carefully selecting the tile size, considering moisture-prone areas, and making creative design choices, you can transform your bathroom into a unique and inviting space that suits your taste and budget. Whether you opt for painting, wallpaper, shelving, artwork, or tile trim, your half-tiled bathroom can be a stunning and functional addition to your home. So, get ready to embark on your bathroom renovation journey and enjoy the beautiful results of your half-tiled masterpiece.
Check out these other bathroom blogs to get inspired.